A Child’s Haven bases its curriculum on the philosophy that children learn through play. Our curriculum emphasizes a “hands on” approach to learning. Classroom lessons provide active involvement, meaningful exploration, and reinforcement through repetition. Daily schedules are designed to balance structure and free choice, as well as active and quiet times. Skills are introduced through materials and activities which are both child-centered and teacher-directed. Activities are planned which emphasize the process instead of the product, fostering a sense of achievement and self-worth. Equipment, materials, and activities are chosen based on the appropriate ages and stages of the child’s development. We follow the Texas Early Childhood Guidelines in our younger classes and the Texas Pre-Kindergarten Guidelines in our Pre-K class. The Kinder Bridge class utilizes the Get Set For School curriculum from Learning Without Tears.
- Assist children in learning to live comfortably in a social environment in addition to the family.
- Develop toleration and respect for individual and cultural differences through discussion, literature, and role modeling.
- Provide opportunities for the children to interact, guided by models of socially acceptable behavior.
- Enhance the child’s self-esteem, self-awareness, and self-confidence by offering many opportunities for a child to succeed, express ideas, and understand his/her emotions and to attain skills to control them (using peaceful conflict resolution).
- Provide opportunities for math, science, reading, memory skills, language development, and social science.
- Increase attention span and follow simple directions.
- Foster creativity and self-expression through art, music, and dramatic play.
- Develop small muscles by using scissors, paste, clay, blocks, puzzles, beads, pegs, etc.
- Develop large muscles through outdoor activities such as climbing, riding a tricycle, running, etc.
- Stimulate and encourage curiosity and provide opportunities for problem solving.
- Encourage children to take care of their own needs with support from the adults in their environment.
- Foster a belief in God and to know that God loves them and cares for them.
A Child’s Haven provides a Christian environment where God’s love is celebrated. Each week the teachers present a Bible story and/or a Bible verse to the children in a developmentally appropriate way. Prayer is used appropriately throughout the day. Songs with A Christian message are used in the classroom on a regular basis. Children attend chapel once a week to listen to a lesson and sing with the pastors. Each month the children learn about a different Fruit of the Spirit, which uses fruit to teach about the characteristics of Jesus.
Music and Movement
Physical development is an important part of growth for all children. All classes attend music and movement each day. Teachers lead the classes in dancing and different movement activities that help the children develop and refine their gross motor skills.
Children engage in daily art activities in their classrooms. They enjoy doing crafts and other artistic projects related to our weekly planned themes. The emphasis is on developing a love for art and of free expression.